Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mychael Urban: 1, Me: 0

One of the things I pride myself on is my ability to admit when I'm wrong. Today, I was wrong...

When it was announced that Guillermo Mota was coming in to pitch for the injured Barry Zito, I tweeted the following:


Mychael Urban (of CSN), immediately called me out:


As it would turn out, I was completely wrong. Mota was stellar tonight, by every metric imaginable: 4.1 IP, 4 K, 0 BB, 1.24 FIP, 50% GB rate. Just awesome. And completely unexpected. Props to Mr. Mota...

  • Freddy Sanchez is looking fantastic this year, and I expect it to continue -- to an extent. I've said it a billion times already, but he's taking a less aggressive approach this year and it's really working. I expect 3.0 WAR if he can stay healthy -- though it's a big "if".
  • Aaron Rowand continues his BABIP-fueled tear. And hey, he had a walk tonight!
  • The Giants grounded into double plays in FIVE CONSECUTIVE INNINGS. Absurd. I hope I never have to see that again. But they somehow managed to win....
  • Darren Ford had his first major league at-bat today. If I was told at the beginning of the season that Ford would be getting an at-bat this early in the season, I probably would have freaked out. All things considered, though, the Giants have really gotten by in spite of injuries to Andres Torres AND Cody Ross.
  • Minors: Zack Wheeler went 5.2 IP tonight for the San Jose Giants with eight strikeouts and ONLY ONE WALK.
  • Random note: Miguel Tejada already has -5 defensive runs saved at SS this season. That is just atrocious. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he finishes the year with only a one-loss glove.



Follow SP on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook