Sunday, May 8, 2011

Game Recap: Giants 3, Rockies 2

Unbelievable.

  • Aaron Rowand did his job tonight, getting on base three times in the leadoff spot. It's worth mentioning because I spend every other game bashing him. Tonight, good job Rowand. And heck, he had the highest win probability added of any hitter tonight -- at 22.5%. 
  • Beautiful outing by Madison Bumgarner, and I needed that. He had great command, and induced a lot of groundballs (73.3% GB rate).
  • Player of the game: Ramon Ramirez. He came in during the seventh inning, in a tied game, with runners on the corners and nobody out. It took him 11 pitches, and he got three outs (including a pair of strikeouts), good for a WPA of .306.
  • Buster Posey drew a couple more walks today, boosting his walk rate to 9.6% (if I did my calculations correctly). It's early, but that's a big jump from what he had last year (6.8%). At any rate, ZiPS projects him to finish the year at 8.8%, slightly above league average, and I'm completely content with that.
  • It disturbs me that Darren Ford is getting plate appearances in the late innings of a tied game for the Giants.
  • Miguel Tejada stole a base. I wonder if that will ever happen again. 
  • Side-note...is it just me, or is Aaron Rowand involved in every single walkoff the Giants have? He scored the winning run in this one.


I'd be remiss if I didn't post this gif... (h/t McCovey Chronicles)




Follow SP on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook