Wednesday, October 13, 2010

TEX vs. SF World Series...a possibility

On July 1, Bengie Molina was traded to the Texas Rangers for Chris Ray and Michael Main. The Rangers are now in the ALCS...one step away from the World Series. It seems like a perfect time to look at some comments he made a while ago to Carl Steward regarding his time in San Francisco and Texas.
Extra Baggs: "Here’s Bengie, the mad cyclist himself, on life as Ranger, as told to Carl:
'It’s been a great experience so far. The first five or six guys in the lineup are all all-stars, and to play with them, it’s unbelievable. I’m still kind of getting used to the whole thing, but my teammates have been so awesome making me feel welcome and comfortable. It’s made a difference.'
(how closely do you follow the Giants)
'Every day I check to see how they’re doing. I left a lot of friends and people that I love so much and care about, so I follow along. I know that they’re doing really well and I’m very happy for that.'
(how about a Texas-SF World Series?)
'That would be awesome. That would assure me of a ring. But from my point of view, I really have to concentrate on the Texas Rangers right now. Not that I’m going to forget about the Giants, but I need to concentrate a little more on where I am and what I have to do with this team to try to get them to the World Series and win it.'
'I wish the best to everybody over there. I’m still in touch with some of the guys. I don’t know how it is without me, but it sure looks like they’re having fun out there and they’re winning. So I’m very excited and happy for them.'
(thoughts on Posey and his first month)
'I never had a doubt that the kid was going to be a superstar soon in the league. I didn’t know how soon because I’m not mind-reader, but I knew that he had the skills and talent to be up there and take care of that pitching staff, and he’s shown it. We still text back and forth sometimes just to say hi and make sure everything’s OK and things like that. I wish him the best, because he’s a good friend of mine. He will forever be a good friend. It doesn’t matter that he took my place or whatever, he will still be a good friend.'

I would love to see an SF-TEX World Series. Not only do I think they are an easier potential matchup than the New York Yankees, but it would also be their first World Series. Frankly, I'm sick of Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, etc...I'm sick of the Yankees playing in the World Series. It would be nice to see Texas finally play in a World Series.