Sunday, February 13, 2011

Notes: Jason Bartlett, Jackie Robinson Award, Ned Colletti

  • New Giants blog in town! Snow Woulda Had It! Reasons to love it (already): It's named for J.T. Snow, sleek blog design, and this quote: "[We're] equally likely to be found laughing over silly GIFs or debating the merits of using tERA instead of FIP to calculate pitcher WAR."
  • Royals Authority ran the Sweetspot Blog today and had a fantastic post on how the name "Jackie Robinson Award" is often overlooked. In case you weren't aware, the Rookie of the Year Award was renamed the Jackie Robinson Award back in 1987, in order to honor him. 
  • Henry Schulman uploaded a picture of Madison Bumgarner, whose already begun to throw in Arizona. 
  • The Giants were apparently close to acquiring Jason Bartlett in a trade. I don't know what to think of this, to be honest. I had advocated for Bartlett, whose speed would be a welcomed addition to an otherwise slow lineup (apologies to Andres Torres). He could've been worth a good one or two wins more than Miguel Tejada, but on the other hand, the Giants might have had to forfeit a couple quality relief arms (Dan Runzler?!) in order to have the privilege to pay Bartlett $6MM or so through arbitration. 
  • R.I.P. Gino Cimoli
  • I'm compiling as many Brandon Belt blog posts as I can find. If you have any, tweet them to me (@splashinpumpkin), or send them to me via email (blog@splashingpumpkins.com) and I'll be sure to include them.
  • Is Ned Colletti a secret undercover Giant? I found this excerpt to be interesting...
Then there is this -- his son, Lou, is a scout for the Giants. Worse, maybe, is this quote Colletti gave John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle in December on the Giants capturing the World Series: 
"I've got to admit, I had tears in my eyes when they won. I had tears in my eyes when they beat Philly (in the NLCS) because we had been there the last two years. I knew how tough it was. I knew what they were up against. When they beat Texas, same thing. It was a very emotional time for me." 
Said Sabean to Shea: "He'll always be a Giant, and he'll always be a dear friend."
  • Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow!